Friday, July 6, 2012

Cutting the Cord

"I've gotta get out of my parent's house"

We all say it at some point... we all mean it at some point...

But how many people do you know, got out, got married, went really far away, then came back again?

I don't have the statistics on it, but I'm one of those people.

About seven months ago, I had what I like to call, Pregnancy Brain.  Pregnancy Brain happens, obviously, when you're pregnant, and have no control or idea over your decision making process because of:1. Dehydration 2. Lack of Sleep 3. Achiness 4. That little fetus taking over your body.  It pops up throughout pregnancy, and you're to be forgiven when you say or do things you wouldn't normally do.  Jarod and I have decided I get 3 "freebies" a day due to Pregnancy Brain.

Anyhoo...

In my first month of pregnancy, I was dying.  Literally.  I lost 10 pounds, couldn't get up, was ready for the priest to come to give me my last rites. As Jarod would say, I was being a wimp.  My parents took this as their golden opportunity to weasel their way in and take advantage of me:
"Come home, and we can help with Sam and take care of you."

I was sold.  Cut to present day. Total regret.  Two things happened in less than a month.

A week ago, Sammy comes down with a high fever.  Uncomfortable, but otherwise, nbd for the babe, because he's running around and playing like nothing is going on.  On top of that, he's got swollen gums, aka teething.  I give him his medication, monitor him, and decide I'm going to wait a few days before going to the doctor to see if it goes down itself (it did).  Chau Pham goes nuts.  It's child abuse, Sammy is becoming delusional because he's still playing but he's sick.  We should probably go to the emergency room, I'm a bad mother, I don't know what I'm doing.  (This all came out in the same breath) Alright, well, Sammy is fine.  Brain is intact, he's alive in well.  Stay out of it, Father.

Yesterday, my dad tries to pull a Rumplestiltskin.  Yes, I'm calling it the Rumplestiltskin.  He's almost certain I won't be able to handle two children, especially boys (OK, he might be correct in this assumption, but it would be nice to be given the benefit of the doubt).  So he wants to take BBF, and raise him for me... (Insert Vi Face here) and once he grows up, "The Dragon" (because he is nameless right now) will be a perfect gentleman.  

Let's pull up Chau Pham's track record: My brother.... Sam.... This would not be possible for Mr. Pham to do.  I call his bluff and say he wants to relive the good ole days of his youth.  Not gonna happen, father.  I love my unborn fetus too much.

While keeping in mind that I'm exaggerating, this offer truly was given to me, which I ungratefully turned down.  But the moral of this story is, don't move back with your parents when you're married and have kids, even if it is just for the summer.  Obvi it was my choice, and Jarod went along with it.  They're the best parents ever, and I couldn't do a lot without them.  But they start to get crazy ideas.

Ba Ba and his Sammy

Shout out to my brother from another mother, JB.

No comments:

Post a Comment